samedi 21 février 2015

How can bitterness from dried mushrooms be avoided?


A couple of times I've made the mistake of adding the liquid used to soak dried mushrooms back to my broth resulting in a horribly bitter taste.


The top answers here and here make no mention of bitterness. Instead they say the liquid should be reserved and used to add mushroom flavor. This can't be the whole story.


Could it be that different mushrooms require different preparation methods?


Recently I have been using a mixture of porcini and funnel chanterelle. Previously, I only used porcini, so perhaps chanterelles are the problem?


One online source (which I'll link to if I find again) suggested cold water should be used to avoid bitterness. Another online source (again, I've lost the link) says that warm water should be used and boiling water will cause bitterness.


I don't remember now but it's possible that I used boiling water so these claims sound plausible to me.


Does anyone know for sure whether bitterness depends on the type of mushroom or the method of soaking?





Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire