mardi 17 mars 2015

Would a tagine be better for high altitude braising?


I am thinking of getting a 2 quart Le Creuset Tagine for braising. I'm at around 5000 feet, and so am stuck with a lower boiling temperature for water - 9 degrees Fahrenheit less then at sea level.


I was wondering if the "cooling tower" in the lid of the Tagine would keep the moisture from escaping by allowing it to cool instead of boiling off. I noticed that Morocco has a great variety of altitudes, so perhaps Moroccans have invented the right tool for the job.


The Le Creuset Tagine has a cast iron, enameled base, so its not a traditional tagine. I believe it has a stoneware lid.


I haven't had good results with braising in a dutch oven. I have to use more liquid and cook longer then the recipe says, and the results are not good - not tender and not flavorful.


Would a tagine make braising at 5000 feet worth doing? This is not so I can cook Moroccan dishes (though I'd love to try some of them). This is for general purpose braising.





Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire