samedi 10 janvier 2015

How can I make a super-thin, yet strong, calzone crust?


I am a relatively experienced amateur when it comes to making pizza, especially pizza doughs. I recently went to Italy and enjoyed some calzones with super-thin crusts.


My standard recipe for a pizza crust is essentially the following:



  • 1.5 cups bread flour

  • 1 cup whole wheat flour (or all-purpose)

  • 0.5 cups semolina flour

  • 1 tsp. granulated sugar

  • 1 tsp. quick-rise yeast

  • 1 tsp. salt

  • 2 Tbsp. olive (or cooking) oil

  • 1 cup warm water

  • More water or flour to achieve a mostly-elastic (but slightly sticky) dough


I typically add some of the following seasonings for fun and flavor: - 1-2 tsp. minced garlic - 1-2 tsp. onion powder - 1-3 tsp. oregano - 1 tsp red pepper flakes


The above recipe works great for crusts thicker than a few millimeters. When I roll it out thinner, however, it isn't strong enough and tears when forming a calzone.


How can I modify that recipe to get a crust that's strong enough for making a calzone? I expect substituting bread flour for the whole wheat flour would help, as well as not adding extra ingredients. Perhaps I could add a few teaspoons of gluten?


Thoughts? Thanks in advance!





Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire